A Trio with Lucy and Emma

Today I feature Emma Dewey and Lucy Sydel, two of my biggest movement inspirations. Missing these two a lot! Here is a dance we all joined in together, to the song Heartbreaker by Alabama Shakes. I danced to this song in an earlier post, "explorations of the couch", and found that my movement was yearning for something new and more melancholy here as I dance in the snow. Perhaps it was the emotional intensity in the song matching with the unsettled world and the cold air and the knowledge that out there in the world Emma and Lucy were also diving into this dance. Together and alone. Alone and together.

I love watching the way that everyone leans into the reverberations of the song in their own unique style. Emma spinning, Lucy playing with balance. There is a shared energy even though we are all far away. This song reminds me of those 8 am warmups while snow fell outside Edwards and we all woke our bodies up with swings and twists in unison. Bouncing up and down, the power in her quaking voice moving our bodies for us. In a way, this trio is a dedication to that space and the community we created. I am so excited to continue watching Emma and Lucy engage with profound and boundary-shattering movement that energizes and inspires me every day.

I included the trio, and the original dance that I did. Thank you Lucy for editing!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

practicing being a succulent wild woman

the body

The sharp, loving bite of Mother Nature's Winds