my practice

After spending a semester engaging in mind-body movement exercises, authentic movement exploration, and automatic writing, automatic writing paired with movement has become a meditative practice for me. I decided to use this blog as a way of continuing my ruminations and reflecting on my adventures by grounding myself in my practice. A documentative meditation of sorts.

This practice is simple: My movement comes from a variety of improvisational formats. Depending on the setting and my creative inclinations about a particular space, I engage in improvised movement and/or authentic movement, motivated by impulse, reaction to a space, or a specific prompt I give myself. Directly following my dancing, I engage in automatic writing. Automatic writing simply means writing for a set amount of time without editing or controlling what comes out on the page. The goal is to give the body a space to process whatever it needs to, either related to the dancing or to other circumstances in the body's recent experience. These are what Natalie Goldberg calls First Thoughts, which she says have "tremendous energy". In her piece, "Writing Down the Bones", she talks about automatic writing as a practice through which you learn to trust your deep self. It is contingent on permission and freedom. Check out her essay if you want to know more!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The sharp, loving bite of Mother Nature's Winds

practicing being a succulent wild woman

the body