practicing being a succulent wild woman

Last weekend, I went to San Pedro de Atacama, truly one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. Whenever I travel, I can't help but reflect on how incredible this world is! We all have to take more time to appreciate it. Having already been to the far south of Chile, seeing the other extreme was a gift, and especially magical because the landscape and natural phenomena in San Pedro de Atacama are breathtaking. Many times I did not feel like I was on earth, and the fact that I was made it all the more incredible.

To be honest, what was really magical about that weekend was the sheer intensity and beauty of traveling by myself! This world tells us women we have to restrict ourselves and move about with fear--and a lot of this is justified, society is filled with violence and pain! But the truth is that it is totally possible and joyful and liberating to travel alone! As long as I was smart and conscious of my whereabouts, it was totally safe. The experience reminded me of one of my favorite books, "Succulent Wild Woman" by Sark, in which she talks about spending loving kind time with yourself. I ate a delicious pizza with myself! I painted by the fire! Truly, it was delightful. And in that, I met some dope people who also made the experience a fucking blast.

While I don't have a perfect relationship with myself, I have been spending a lot of energy on self-love and respect these past few years, and this journey really crystallized that. One moment in particular summarized the glorious feeling I was riding on during this journey: I was sitting at the top of a mountain pass above the Valle de la Luna, watching the sun set over one mountain range, striking the Andes range with rose and orange colored light. One of the volcanoes looked like it was literally glowing, from the combination of snow mixing with the sunlight. Perhaps it was the pure, divine beauty of the moment, or the burning love I felt for myself expanding in my heart, but I must confess I started to cry. Sometimes here in Valparaiso, I get swept up in the activities of daily life and the task of speaking Spanish and the millions of expectations I artificially create for how I live in this experience, and my self-esteem drops and I get a bit lost. This was a fantastic reminder of both my worth and my power.

Begin freewrite.
biting cold warming sun smiling over baby green mountains, sulfur mist puffing in the background, this place feels very explosive, probably because magma from two volcanoes literally flows beneath my feel. This flow plus the energy of being alive and being able to see the world. That is in addition to the lack of oxygen because of the altitude of 14,000 feet and the recent swim I took in the thermal pool. My heart and blood are coursing and aching, inhaling deeply, thump, thump, a drum in my ears.

I feel observed and wish I could escape into my private authentic movement more, but also appreciating this dramatic volcanic orgasmic natural phenomenon. The other end of Chile, the two extremes, carry air that is wildly different, but equally powerful. Wild glorious life! Blessed to have this body to move in and these places I can go.










Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The sharp, loving bite of Mother Nature's Winds

the body