A Duet (Trio)

This post is dedicated to my grandmother, Nana, for inspiring me to sink into form and fill up space fully with my body. I love you and am thinking about you as these days pass in quarantine and spring blossoms.

Emma Dewey joined me for this exploration and it was magical. A full 25 minutes of improvisation in the glorious sunshine and this wide open field, I felt truly struck with a creative energy I haven't in a while. I am so grateful for this moment and this duet.

A dear mentor shared an article with me by the Chronicle for Higher Education, about the idea of productivity during COVID-19. This is a quote that she highlighted in particular, that resonates deeply with me in these times:

"Now more than ever, we must abandon the performative and embrace the authentic. Our essential mental shifts require humility and patience. Focus on real internal change. These human transformations will be honest, raw, ugly, hopeful, frustrated, beautiful, and divine. And they will be slower than keener academics are used to. Be slow. Let this distract you. Let it change how you think and how you see the world. Because the world is our work. And so, may this tragedy tear down all our faulty assumptions and give us the courage of bold new ideas."


I dance to be present in my body, to connect to what I feel inside myself and to exist in the world around me. Thank you for this reminder to let my transformation happen in its own time. And thank you to this duet, whose creative relief washed over me like pouring rain. 

Begin freewrite: 
"two trees. They deal with space. Opposition breathes distance and closeness. The lavender and salmon colors tell some story to me, I know not what it is yet. Circular movement. What happens in the bounds of these trees? We circle around each other tasting the space cautiously. Connected with a silver spool of silk that links our bodies together intimately. This is the start of something. 

I feel it in the sand--sand? There is none here but somehow I feel it on my skin, under my feet, with the sticky sap on my hands. Sisters, our bodies are fuel--Oh glorious fullness again, like I burst through a film that covered my life for weeks and I can see clearly now. come back to my body, she is here. Always I witness her from within."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

practicing being a succulent wild woman

the body

The sharp, loving bite of Mother Nature's Winds